Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Hares and other wild tails

Everybody loves fluffy bunnies with their long silky ears, cute little hops, and their expressionless, soul-less eyes. I have only owned one rabbit in my life and IT (I don’t even remember if it was a boy, girl, or a rabbit at all) was probably the most dissatisfying ‘24 carrot’ thing we have ever owned.

I have always seen rabbits at County Fairs and in pet shops where they are typically passive, un-agitated, and the only disagreeable trait is when they hunker down a bit when giving them a too-aggressive pat behind the ears. Our rabbit was captured in the wild and apparently spawned from the loins of Lucifer himself. The rabbit was a pushy bully who would scratch, kick, and literally knock anyone or anything around that got in his way. Needless to say the other wild rabbits in this dude’s ‘borough’ were as thrilled as we were to get rid of the beast. Best of all we got four nifty ’LUCKY’ keychains and $2.50 a pound out of the deal.

I blame my wife 'T' for the rabbit, cat, birds, and most any other wild animals that we have encountered. So our kid could pet a bunny, I have seen my wife literally keep other rabbits on the move so long that they finally give up running. Once on a hike about 30 miles South of the Arctic Circle, 'T' nearly led us to step on a MOOSE resting in the tall grass. I can honestly say my pants were never the same after that TOO close encounter. We had a similar experience with a beefy and angry sea lion when we happened to run the bow of a small dinghy into the buoy that the big bull was sleeping on.

Yes the wife has developed the unique ability at seek out and trap innocent creatures of nature. Clearly she can wrangle most anything from its natural habitat and wear it down into submission. I’m pretty sure that is the way I was snagged so many years ago ... before they had laws against illegal bear trapping.

4 comments:

  1. I owned a white fluffy bunny when I was about 10 and my friend and I used to put them in our dolls prams and take them around the neighbourhood shopping.

    Warped, I know...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was also hopped down the bunny trail when I was young. I used to take my pet rabbit 'Trixy' babysitting with me. Her tricks led to many more and I found myself selling Baby bunnies around Easter time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My coworker took the kids we work with hiking, and the encountered a moose on the trail. They all freaked out!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ha ha....I had a bunny named Delphina when I was about 17. She was a nasty little thing, too.

    Did you say moose? Watch my blog for a moose card Friday. ;)

    ReplyDelete